Construction projects usually require a building permit. Only the property owner or the owner's licensed contractor can obtain a building permit.
Construction can begin only after the permit is issued and must commence within 180 days. Construction may not stop completely for more than 180 days. If these time periods are exceeded, the permit will automatically expire and a new application for a building permit is necessary. If you are in need of an extension, please call 432-685-7390.
Permit applications and other payments will not be accepted or issued after 4 pm. Cash, check, money orders, credit/debit are accepted.
- Project Submitted: Submit the permit application and pay the 25% fee via email or in person
- Under Review: Plan reviewer examines the submitted plans and documents. This usually take about 5 to 7 business days. Timeline varies for commercial projects depending on type of work. (New commercial and Additions - 20 working day review. Commercial Alteration and Repair, Accessory Structures, and Commercial Swimming Pool - 7 to 10 working days.)
- Verification: Plan reviewer will notify you of approval via email. You must pay the 75% fee application at this time. A Bonded Contractor is required to be listed on permit for issuance
- Permit Issued: Once the payment is collected, a permit number is issued to you. The permit must be visible on the job site.
- Inspections: Inspector reviews the construction at various stage of the project to ensure compliance with the various codes and state and federal guidelines.
- Certificate of Occupancy: Upon final inspection of the completed project, a certificate of occupancy is issued to the project's owner. At this point, the building or structure is available to be used or occupied by the public. This applies to Changes in Occupancy, Additions to existing occupancies, and New construction projects.
How to Submit Residential & Commercial Permits
Email your permit application as PDF attachments to Permits Request. Please include the project address in the subject line of the email. Instructions for payment will be emailed to the applicants.
Submit your permit application in person at the city hall located at 300 N Loraine.